Frequently Asked Questions

My child's school records don't list me as the father/mother. How can I fix this?

Assuming the school will not work with you to correct this, we suggest you use this form letter to request a change, addition, or removal of incorrect, misleading, or inappropriate information in your child's school records, as allowed under the Family Rights and Educational Privacy Act (FERPA): Correcting School Records form letter.

Include a copy of the relevant portion from your divorce decree or parenting plan that shows you are one of the child's parents. If necessary, have your attorney send the letter to the school on his or hr letterhead.