Frequently Asked Questions

My spouse is not a legal step-parent (there was no adoption) but he raised the boy he calls his son. He divorced the boy's mother and now she won't let him see the boy. Does he have any rights?

Unfortunately, he has no virtually rights by default. He will need to petition the court vigorously for visitation. He will need to show that he was part of an 'established custodial environment', but it may be a difficult task to convince the court to grant any visitation or parenting time.