Frequently Asked Questions

My wife has taken our child and moved out. No divorce papers have been filed. Does my wife have the right to keep me from having unsupervised visits with my child?

No, she doesn't. You have all the rights any parent does, including the right to go pick up your child and care for him or her. You should retain an attorney as soon as possible, and consider filing for divorce and full custody. If your spouse is attempting to put restrictions on you and your parenting time already, this isn't a good sign of things to come.

If your soon-to-be-ex will not support your relationship between you and your children, then it is crucial for you to obtain legal custody. This is the only way that both parents' relationship with the children will be assured. Hopefully, you are the more reasonable parent and would not interfere with the other parent's relationship with the children. Since the same can't be said for them, it would follow that you will need to be the one in control of the custody arrangements.

Read these pages to get started: