Frequently Asked Questions

How do I go about establishing my rights as a father?

Start by having your name listed as the father on the child's birth certificate (by court order if necessary), and by declaring paternity. If the mother contests paternity, you will have to petition the court for a paternity test to establish parentage. You must also demonstrate your commitment to the child by participating in its care, rearing and support, and by starting to establish a meaningful parent-child relationship.