Frequently Asked Questions

My girlfriend and I have a child together. I am listed as the father on the birth certificate. Could I take child with me if we broke up?

Technically you might be able to, but we'd caution you against simply taking off with the child. You may be better off filing for custody before doing anything else, but as a parent you have every right to care for the child and provide the child with a home, wherever that may be. If there is no custody determination or divorce decree, you can spend time with your child and travel with the child as necessary or as you see fit. If your significant other cannot provide a proper home, this would be all the more reason for you to care for the child at your residence. We would strongly urge you to contact an attorney to clarify your legal rights with regard to the child.