Frequently Asked Questions

I have been married for less than a year. Can I annul my marriage, or do I have to file for divorce?

Generally, you'll need to file for divorce. In some cases you may be able to get the marriage annulled, but this will not invalidate child support obligations, if any. (Note that many States no longer use the term "annul" or "annullment", but instead use "invalidate". The general procedure for obtaining an annullment or invalidation is substantially the same, as are the results. The marriage is dissolved and is presumed to be legally non-existant.)